Thursday, September 4, 2008

dinner and show

Hey,

So the big story out of Arizona is the dinner we had at Ichi Ban a Teppanyaki restaurant that features the grill tables where the chef cooks right in front of you (made famous by Benihana).  
Becky and I had dinner with some friends who recommended the place.  

We were seated around one of the grill tables and browsed the menu. Our friend explained that they have a full sushi and dinner menu but the Teppanyaki is the real star.  I ordered the shrimp, Becky had the salmon and our hosts each had the the steak and shrimp combo.  

The Chef rolled his cart over and the show started.  He first oiled up the grill and began making the fried rice.  This dude had some serious knife skills.  Next, he threw down the veggies and the meats and really got into his routine.  It was crazy.  Explosions and food flying everywhere. I kind of felt like I was in a strip club because I didn't have a lot of money so I felt bad about watching the show. The chef did a sweet job but the whole thing was surreal.  I am supposed to clap or cheer when he flips a shrimp in the air? Do I stuff a dollar in his pocket?

Finally, all the cooking was done and we dug in.  The food was really good.  The veggies and rice were very flavorful and the shrimp was cooked perfectly.  Big portions and a variety of sauces completed the meal.  My dish was $18 but did include miso soup and salad. Expensive but worth it.  Because of budget restrictions, I opted out of the sake bombers that my table enjoyed but overall it was a strange but delicious dinning experience.

Side Note: Other than this meal, most of my AZ trip was more foucused on booze/beer then food.  I think I got one more food story...


Crazy

No comments: